Thursday, April 5, 2007

Ode to the North

Last Monday-Tuesday we've been to Northern Ireland. The place where Pind (sounds almost like pint that ends with a D, but still, not exactly) is actually Pound (the currency).

Dan had to be at a place called Banbridge, for some meetings. Luckily, he rented a car on the company's expense, so I joined him. I've decided that while he's on his meetings, I'll go to Belfast. I did some checking on the internet, and it took me 15 minutes until I found a proper website to check whether there's a bus or a train from Banbridge to Belfast. They should do some major upgrade works on their SEO... I discovered that there's a direct bus, Ulsterbus, line no. 38 or 238 or 238a to Belfast, every 20-30 minutes. I was afraid it was too good to be true, and hoping that the internet search doesn't necessarily say anything about their service.

Well, the bus was exactly on time, every time! And it's surprisingly good, considering the fact that it arrives from Newry.

I don't know whether there was a vacation from school those days, but there were many teenagers at the lawn of the city hall in Belfast. Seems like they all fancy the Gothic look: dark black hair, dark cloths. They all look the same. The girls wear too much make-up powder at that age, and the shade usually doesn't fit their skin colour. When they'll grow up, it doesn't matter whether they'll keep the gothic look, they'll add some tan to it. Yeah, many Irish women (haven't see tanned men, yet) put some kind of lotion that makes their skin look tanned. But it seems like they put it on their lags and their faces only, so when it's extremely hot, like these last few day, so many girls wearing t-shirts and skirts, uncover their extremely white, untanned hands (compared to their faces or legs).

By the way, after that, they'll probably get pregnant, have kids and that's it...

Except the city hall I went to the Belfast Castle, just to discover that except for the great view from up the hill, there are 2 rooms to be seen by the public, and the rest of that pretty huge castle is used for conferences and weddings... It all explains why they don't charge to enter the castle.
The most interesting thing was a neighbourhood where walls at the end of each block is painted, and it all been kept from the time of The Troubles. I took many pictures over there, and there were some more, but I didn't have the time to stay there, I had to go back to Banbridge, and then back to Dublin. I give you a quick glimpse. If you wish to see some more, just email me.

It was a nice place to visit, Belfast, but certainly not a must.

And now, for the first time, I going to use my blog to say hey to Jeremy, the taxi driver from Banbridge. We had a nice, long chat when he was taking me from the hotel we were staying, just outside of Banbridge, to the town center, to catch the bus to Belfast. I'm quite sure he doesn't read my blog, but still... I hope you enjoyed the Chelsea-Valencia match yesterday (He flew to London for the match!). And please, next time you drive with an Israeli, I think it's pretty stupid to ask whether it's safe living there... You're from Northern Ireland, you must know that what's on the media is quite different from the real, everyday life.

Tomorrow is Good Friday, and the following Monday is Easter Monday. What better reason do we have to go out of the city for few days? This time we go to the south, and when we're back, I'll update you, of course ( who else???)

No comments: