Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Salad is not food enough

Why is it that every time I go to a restaurant and ask about a vegetarian dish, they say proudly: "we have salads!" ??
The fact that I've decided to not eat "food" that was once alive does not mean I will eat like a rabbit and only have green leaves.
Yes, it means I don’t eat chicken, or even schnitzel (some people don’t find it fleshy enough), I don’t eat fish, even though it's very very healthy, and I don’t eat any animal that produced or sucked milk. I think that covers it all.
Another important rule of mine is that I don’t eat anything that originated from water e.g. ocean, sea, lake, river or even a puddle if possible. There are no exceptions, except rice.
If you were wondering, sushi is also out of the question, even though they are filled with vegetables.
Yes, I eat dairy and I eat eggs. Chicken eggs that is.
So I say NO to salad.

When the waiter adds: "we have a vegetarian pasta!" with the same enthusiasm and proud tone as mentioned above, I think to myself (sometimes out loud): if I wanted to have a good pasta, I'd have gone to an Italian restaurant. Besides, usually my own pasta is much better than the none-Italian-restaurants pasta...
So only sometimes I say no to pasta.

So what bothers me the most? The fact that most waiters and chefs think I should eat vegetables. Can't they be more creative? Are they afraid of the challenge of feeding vegetarians? They are mislead if thinking they can feed carnivores with a big piece of meat and some mashed potatoes, and they’ve satisfied everyones needs.

Us, the vegetarians, are human-beings, and we also have needs, a bit different than others, but still, we don’t ask for a lot…

2 comments:

orke said...

MMMM since I'm not throwing up
anymore....wanna go to Ingrid?

BTW would you please send me your wonderfull Dublin's tips in english as well? for my travel site?

Dentzia said...

I'll have to translate and then send it to you and publish it here.
Yes, I wanna go to Ingrid! Their speciallity is meat, but at least they have good pasta.
Have a wonderful weekend!